Volunteer Training April 13th
Feed My Sheep will be holding a training April 13th, 2013
It will be held at Grace Bible Church 635 Hina Ave, Kahului
The following is our "Feed My Sheep Volunteer Covenant." Each volunteer must agree to the following rules by signing a covenant before we allow them to serve.
Our purpose is to show the love of Christ by feeding the hungry in our community.
In John 21: 15-17, Jesus says to Peter “If you love me feed my sheep”
In order to facilitate the unity and effectiveness of this effort, please observe the following guidelines.
- Pray. Your prayers are vital and instrumental in the success of our program.
- Show the love of Christ at all times. There will be times when you will be tempted to judge or be critical. At all times choose to be loving and kind.
- Always treat those we serve with respect. Remember: we don’t have clients; we have friends. Everyone needs to be treated with dignity. Love your neighbor as you love yourself (Matthew 22:29). Treat them as you would like to be treated.
- The only criteria to help the hungry, is that they say that they are in need and meet accepted maximum income guidelines. We will not put any further conditions on them. We will not turn anyone away who meets the financial guidelines.
- A schedule of your work hours will be set up which will accommodate both you and the staff at Feed My Sheep.
- Arrive on time. Our set-up time is busy and important. Arriving late is hard on other volunteers and can delay the serving of food. When a family hasn’t had anything to eat for a while they need to know that we will be present and ready on time.
- If unable to show up for your designated time, please give as much advance notice as possible so that a replacement can be found.
- Do not show up to work if you have taken drugs (including medical marijuana), have abused medication or have been drinking alcohol within the last 24 hours.
- The food is for people in need. It is not for personal use. If your household is in need you may sign up and go through the line, receiving food in the same way as our other friends. You may not reserve specific items for yourself or others.
- Do not eat during distribution. Our friends are hungry and need to know the food meant for them is not being misused. Food gifts brought by our friends may be eaten after distribution time.
- We require that volunteers who work directly with friends (i.e. praying, intake) receive FMS-specific training. Several training sessions are offered each year.
When you volunteer we will provide you a form to say that you agree with these rules.