In January of 2015 Feed My Sheep participated in a survey of private non-profit food distribution organizations active on Maui. This survey was made possible by the support of County of Maui and conducted by SMS Research of Honolulu to understand the extent to which Maui island residents need food support.
Summary of the findings:
- More that 1,200 individuals (gross) receive food support each month (p. 1)
- In the year studied 4,325 people (approximately 3% of the population of Maui) received assistance (p. 1)
- Approximately 60% of recipients do not receive food stamps (p. 1)
- The average food recipient collects food multiple times per month for an average of 28 months (p. 1)
- Feed My Sheep's Central, Lahaina and Kihei distributions were top 3 locations for Average monthly number of individuals served (p. 7)